I discovered something new about the community I grew up around here in Northern California.
There are 20 million Sikhs in the world, most of whom live in the Punjab province of India. In the USA there are approximately 260,000 Sikhs of which 100,000 – 150,000 gather in Yuba City, California for the annual Nagar Kirtan celebration.
Sikhism was founded in the 16th century in the Punjab district of what is now India and Pakistan. It was founded by Guru Nanak and is based on his teachings, and those of the 9 Sikh gurus who followed him.
- Sikhism stresses the importance of doing good actions rather than merely carrying out rituals
- Sikhs believe that the way to lead a good life is to keep God in heart and mind at all times.
- To live honestly and work hard
- To treat everyone equally
- Always be generous to the less fortunate and serve others
I grew up in this farming community in Northern California in the ’60s and ’70s and at that time there were only a handful of Sihks living in the community as proud farmers.